Safe Room Shelters
Custom Built Units everytime since we are building each unit for each families needs.
Spring of 2014 will be here in no time. Be prepared.
While the safest place to be in a tornado or strong wind is below ground, we have to consider that not everyone can go below ground. Those who are elderly and/or disabled are not able to get down stairs or ladders to safety.
Who of us wants to get up in the middle of the night and go out in the weather to a shelter that is in the yard in order to reach safety? Most of us don't or we wait till it's too late. Statistics show that many injuries are sustained by folks trying to reach their place of safety because they waited too long to go to their shelter or did not realize the severity of the storm until it was too late.
The SafeRoom unit is built of 3/16 steel material for the walls. All shelters have a skeleton of 4 inch channel which goes up and over the top to protect you from falling debris. Knowing steel as Dave does, he knew this would make it stronger and give you the needed protection for you and your family.
The door is the only separate piece on our unit. The door of any shelter is the weakest point during a storm. FEMA specifies that all storm shelters should have a steel door. Steel is the one thing that has been tested and can withstand flying and falling debris that is thrown around like missiles. A door should have 6 points of attachment. We’ve done our best to build these to withstand most anything. The door lock system sets 3 locks with a single turn. The hinge side of the door has 3 points of attachment for the hinges. Texas Tech testing allows 1 failure of locking points on doors. During testing, all attachment points on our door stayed engaged and secure.
The SafeShed and SafeRoom are made basically the same. (The SafeShed has added vinyl siding and a single slop metal roof attached to exterior of unit). Each have to be anchored upon concrete. We use Hilti HY 150, a chemical anchor system and all thread anchors set into the concrete slab. With the anchoring system (Hilti) we use, it becomes a part of the concrete slab. The weight of the shelter, the weight of the slab, and the attachment system keep the unit in place during a storm.
When wind can get below an object, it has the ability to pick it up. With the way the SafeRoom and SafeShed are built and attached, there is very little way air can find a spot large enough to create a draft and move it. Also they have been tested and withstood debris flown at it at over 250 miles per hour. The SafeRoom design is engineer stamped for added assurance.
Most popular size: 4X6X6 unit; pricing starts at $4900 for locally installed unit.
*Distributors/Dealers are in other areas for our built shelters. Dealer pricing will be reflective of distance traveled for these ones to provide shelters in their local areas.
Referral Bonuses honored by Steel Storm Shelters. Ask for details.
Beyond area delivery $3.50-$4.00 per mile zip code to zip code. Pricing is subject to level access into garage for install with our typical install trailer. If the driveway is inclined into the garage, a lift rental may be necessary and charges reflected to homeowner. A picture of the approach to garage can help determine if this is needed if question about steepness is considered.
*Standard Sizes: 4X6X6, 4x8x6, and 6X6X6; Additional size configurations being offered; 4X5X6, 5X5X6, 5X6X6, and others. Every families setting is unique. We build units for each families need; however, the added sizes will help families to know their individual needs are being met with a fair market price for each unit. (recommended 5X5X6 minimum if a person occupies a wheelchair who will be using the unit)
* Tested for 250 mph wind force, at Texas Tech Wind Science Research Center in Lubbock, TX.
* Put in new homes before walls go up around it; 2-3 hr installation process allows us to set unit and be out of the way for the contractor to proceed with work with little delay time
* Installs in your existing garage
* Anchors onto concrete slab with Hilti HY150 Epoxy anchoring system on inside so it can go into a corner or against a wall
* All steel construction (While 10 gauge with 4" steel channel skeleton is what we took to Texas Tech University for testing and passed, we are currently using 3/16 material for the build of this unit and the channel skeleton. The 3/16 plate is thicker material than originally tested.)
* 1/4 inch plate steel Door; 3 heavy duty steel hinges and a 3 point lock which is the most convenient for quick set. It looks a bit 'industrial' but it is a secure locking system.
* 3/16 Steel floor covered with Outdoor Living carpet - click this link to see why this is safer
* Exterior and Interior painted with Farrel Calhoun paint product color: 0183 Moth Wing
* 1- 16" bench included in all units (3X5 units do not have bench due to limited space)
* It's safe, and right in your home or garage. You don't have to go out in the weather to reach a safe place to be during a storm.
* Units are 3rd party certified with a PE stamp. Units qualify for FEMA grant participation programs when these are current in your state and county of residence.